This simple bread is a warm and soft Irish tradition passed down through generations.
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups orange juice
- 3 cups whole cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 8x4-inch loaf pans. Line bottoms with parchment paper, if desired.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Stir in the orange zest.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the egg mixture, alternating with orange juice.
- Coarsely chop the cranberries.
- Pour the flour mixture into the mixing bowl alternately with the orange juice, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in the chopped cranberries and walnuts, mixing just enough to evenly combine. Divide the batter evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Check for browning: cover the tops with aluminum foil to prevent them from becoming too dark. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean, about 30 minutes more. Cool on wire racks.
- 1/2 c. melted butter, plus more for brushing pan
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder, plus more for dusting pan
- 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. grated zucchini (from 1 large or 2-3 small)
- 2/3 c. chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and dust a loaf pan with cocoa powder.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another large bowl, stir together sugar and egg and egg yolk until smooth, 1 minute. Add melted butter and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Add zucchini, then add flour mixture in 3 additions. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to prepared dish and bake 50 minutes.
- Let cool slightly in pan, then transfer to a cooling rack. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and serve.