- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups apple cider
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 large bay leaf
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large McIntosh apple, sliced
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and thyme in a bowl. Toss beef cubes in the flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown beef cubes on all sides. Combine browned meat, apple cider, water, and cider vinegar in the pot and bring it to a boil. Add bay leaf; reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, and apple and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour more.