Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
These taste just like Loft House sugar cookies and are just as soft.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons milk, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat vegetable shortening, white sugar, 1/4 cup milk, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract together in a bowl. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Slowly beat flour mixture into shortening mixture to make a smooth dough.
- Roll dough out 1/4-inch thick on a floured work surface and cut into shapes. Arrange cookies on baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cookies are firm, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat butter, confectioners' sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons milk in a bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until frosting is spreadable and slightly fluffy. Frost cooled cookies.