Last week we jumped the gun, and shared a recipe for homemade pizza sauce. If you really want to start from scratch with fresh tomatoes, try this recipe for making tomato paste.
- 8 quarts roma tomatoes, about 4 dozen (or other meaty tomatoes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet red peppers, chopped (about 3)
- 1 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey (optional-if you want it a little sweeter)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Wash and trim tomatoes. Blanch and remove skin if desired, or press through sieve when done cooking.
- Combine tomatoes, red peppers,onions, bay leaves, basil,oregano, honey, if using, and salt in a large stockpot and cook slowly for about 1 hour.
- Press through a fine sieve. Add garlic, and continue cooking slowly until thick enough to keep its shape on a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to keep from sticking.(this could be done in a crockpot-just stir and keep an eye on it).
- Pour through sieve(if you left the skins on), then pour into hot 1/2 pint canning jars, leaving 1/2" headspace.
- Process 1/2 pints 45 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- Makes about 9 1/2 pint jars.