Cranberry Walnut Bread
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups orange juice
- 3 cups whole cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 8x4-inch loaf pans. Line bottoms with parchment paper, if desired.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the room-temperature eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Stir in the orange zest.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the egg mixture, alternating with orange juice.
- Coarsely chop the cranberries.
- Pour the flour mixture into the mixing bowl alternately with the orange juice, mixing until just incorporated. Fold in the chopped cranberries and walnuts, mixing just enough to evenly combine. Divide the batter evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Check for browning: cover the tops with aluminum foil to prevent them from becoming too dark. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean, about 30 minutes more. Cool on wire racks.