Ossi di Morti
These meringue style cookies are extra crunchy, dotted with hazelnuts and almonds, and laced with a hint of cloves.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of Cloves
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- 4 ounces hazelnuts, lightly crushed
- 4 ounces almonds, lightly crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, egg whites, and lemon juice.
- Stir in the nuts and knead dough until fairly firm and form into a ball. Cut into quarters.
- Working with one quarter at a time, roll the dough out with your hands a floured surface into a snake shape.
- Cut off 2 inch pieces and shape into bones with your hands.
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper, and lay the bones on it.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until they just start to turn golden on the edges.
- Cool completely before serving. Makes about 3 dozen.