Before there were sports drinks to rehydrate and replace electrolytes after intense physical labor, there was “haymaker’s punch”, or “switchel”. Similar to lemonade, this all-natural drink is currently enjoying a resurgence among modern homesteaders, hipsters, and even upscale restaurants.
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- hot brewed coffee
- half-and-half cream (to taste)
- ground cloves (garnish)
- sweetened whipped cream (topping)
- In a small bowl, mix together the molasses, brown sugar, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Add about a 1/4 cup of coffee to each cup, then stir in about a tablespoon of the spice mixture until dissolved. Fill cup to within an inch of the top with coffee. Stir in half and half to taste, then garnish with whipped cream and a light dusting of cloves.